A Letter

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

A Letter

Postby Anhagath on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:59 pm

The tiny elemental wandered Darnassus, wide, pale blue eyes flickering with an inner flame whose color rivalled the depths of the sky above.

Blue. Daylight. They sleep.

They were not here. Nobody was. Only a few guards, peering down bemusedly, opening their mouths to speak or protest only after he had passed.

"Singe," Anhagath had instructed him gently, kneeling before him. "Take these, give them to as many of the Order as you can find. Do you understand?" His deep, clear voice, missing the irritation that he displayed when others were around. Kindly, fatherly. He'd even patted Singe on the head; and Singe had smiled, filled with simple joy.

But where were they? The elves, the ones in purple, they should be--

BUTTERFLY!

Singe giggled, dashing off after the creature, arms outstretched. If he caught it, he would never hurt it, no. Bat at it, maybe; let it land on him. He did not burn. Not unless he had to.

"Find Nightborne, in particular. Remain with her until I call for you again. This is no place for you, not here."

The old mage had been so serious, lately. Singe wondered absently if it was his scars. Yet he'd been laughing, too. Maybe the scars were good. Singe had been sent to Stormwind. Tall stone, sweeping winds, crashing sea. It wasn't the place for a being of fire, but it was fun. Pretty.

The tiny, childlike elemental stopped, blue fires dancing slowly through his rune-marked body. He sat abruptly in the field of purple flowers, eyes widening even further, face an expression of utter awe as he ran tiny toddler-like hands over the bobbing violet petals.

He would stay, and find as many as he could, and look after Aariam, too. He manifested the letters, peering down at them, sitting alone in the shifting dim light of the Darnassian field.

______

"The Order of Nature's Grasp -

I had intended to potentially return to you, yet circumstances keep me absent. I trust that you are all well, and you have my apologies for any lack of reply to messages you may have attempted to leave at my dwelling.

You see, I had been seeking an object, one of a set that is rather valuable to me, but I found it in a location not readily accessible. As luck would have it, nearby I found those who may be able to aid me in retrieving it. In brief explanation, I believe myself to be on-board a pirate ship, captained by a parrot who has begun ordering me to set everything alight. Among the crew there is a ghost and a young proto-drake, which unfortunately is the frost-breathing variety rather than, to my disappointment, the fire-. Naturally I have joined them, for now, though fear not, I am fully aware of the moral implications. There is a human who insists that his bronze tooth is golden, after all; truly a hive of scum and villainy.

Alternatively, I may have been taken ill and am hallucinating, and am isolating myself as a safety measure as I recover. Now I must draw this letter to a close; the one I hope to delve to the depths of the ocean for my prized object is currently brandishing a gnome at an enemy ship.

Do try not to kill one another in my absence. Should you find yourselves socially tense and at one anothers' throats as usual, might I recommend taking up piracy? Alternatively, large doses of recreational drugs in a campfire setting may do well to build bonds. Singe, note: alternative theory for potential pirate hallucination discovered. No, don't write that down. Erase that. Have you done so? Very well, now continue, signed--

- Anhagath Moonflame

Let me see--I can hardly make out the words with this damn eyepatch on. ...Oh, close enough. Stop taking notes. No, wait--

P.S. I am leaving Singe with Nightborne. Any urgent messages can be directed through him, and will reach me in time, but naturally I cannot return until I am either finished with my task, or wholly recovered. Incidentally, if any of the druids know a good remedy for fleas, the worgen on board has a terrible case of them and refuses to shift form."

((OOC: I've been keeping up on your stories, and it really makes me miss WoW. The Sali-Aariam dynamic and poor Calisar, for example--I wish I was there. Unfortunately, as real life circumstances have spiralled rather badly out of control, I won't be on WoW again for the foreseeable future. BAD THINGS, man, bad things. Anyway, there's the IC letter from Anhagath, and anyone from NG can find Singe wandering, and take one. Eventually he'll try to follow Aariam around like a tiny blue firebodyguard until I decide he won't. Ha.))
"My favorite color is fire."
Anhagath

Character: Anhagath
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Mage

Re: A Letter

Postby Aariam on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Anhagath wrote:There is a human who insists that his bronze tooth is golden, after all; truly a hive of scum and villainy.

;)

That ending made me giggle too. :D
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Thondalar on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Added some of my own writing, as a reply! :D

When Singe came to her with the letter, Simaria was overjoyed. She had plonked down in the grass to sit with the toddler like elemental, getting handed the letter. Before she had focused on the letter, she had smiled to the elemental, speaking softly to him. She sat the letter aside, smiling wide to the elemental, reaching into her satchel to pull out a crumpled piece of letter too, with a little drawing of Darnassus. It was not very well done, but it was something.
Singe however seemed to be extactic about the drawing, babbling along while touching it. And while the elemental was busy, she brought out her own notepad, writing.

"Dear Mr Moonflame.
I have been training quite hard on the spells you have taught me, especially immolate and illusions. While I still struggle a bit with the details of the illusions, I am starting to grasp Immolation quite well. Darnassus have been very quiet without you, and Stormwind I mainly see from the roofs. I've gotten a bit shy with interactions, taking to observing rather then asking. I havenot seen Vanadris for a while, nor her companions. I am unsure of where they have gone. Stormwind suffered under a warlocks's attack, but they managed to kill him, I think, as well as his demon. I watched the paladins and Mr Greysmith deal with it while I kept my distance. I heard a rumor that the Commander's brother is dead as well. The girly one? And that the elf of the Regiment, Thaldir Shadowstar, is also missing. I did not inquire about it much though, because Razgoa was the guard on duty, and as you know, me and him don't go well along. And I did not want to risk being put in the cells over fake pretences.
I have gotten faster with my casting, and my wards seems to be able to handle more then before. I miss your guidance a lot, but for now I manage in my self study. I had a minor fireball backfire and I lit the grass on fire, but I managed to put it out before anyone noticed.
I hope you are well in your travels, and that you return soon. Be well.

- Simaria Winter.
PS: The cat is a gift. I hope it's alright."

She rolled up the letter, together with a bone carving of a sleek cat with orange eyes. Gems. She had made it out of deer-bone, finding the cat's expression reminding her much of Anhagath's way of moving and behaving. She smiled, handing out the paper and bone figurine to Singe. "Bring this to your master, hm? When you have time." She smiled warmly, reaching out to pet one of his small hands.

She rolled her shoulders, then let the change take her, shifting bones, growing fur. She went down on all four, fetching a stick. She grinned to the little elemental, and said softly. "Why don't we play a bit? Will be fun!" She handed the stick to the elemental, and flickered her ears. "Throw the stick, and I'll fetch it!" she giggled, her eyes glowing faintly with arcane, and amusement.
Thondalar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Thondalar
Class: Druid

Postby Soriah on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Nice to know what the old goat is doing with himself. For the life of me, swashbuckling was not what I would have guessed. But I like that. :) Hope things improve for you, Anha.
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Aariam on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Aariam Nightborne was in her cups again. Once upon a time, she’d drank her wine from fancy glasses, with a long, thin neck and a wide foot. Nowadays, metal cups served her well enough. She had started the night with a sour Ashenvale wine, and after a bottle of two, she began to feel a buzz. Saelienne had been diligent, and continued to fill her cups without so much as a word. Was it the same wine throughout the night? Aariam couldn’t tell. The night was close to an end, and only Saelienne knew whether she was being given a fine sour or a Tanarisi sweetwine.

Aariam let out a belch as she emptied the cup of wine. She stood up on uncertain footing, and sent a gaze through narrow eyes at the fuzzy outline that presumably was Saelienne, the innkeeper. “I am p-.. taking a pish”, Aariam eloquently produced. “I’ll be back in a shecond.” She walked to the edge of the building and pressed a palm flat against the façade. She made her way around the building, staying upright thanks to the wall, and eventually found herself a good bush to hide behind.

It was dark behind the building. The shine from the night moon was partly obscured by the thick foliage of Teldrassil, and there were no lanterns back there. Just as she was about to unbuckle the belt around her trousers, she noticed a bright blue light approaching her. “Whof-.. fuck are you?”, she managed to say, slurred. The light continued to come closer, it’s movements reminiscent of a float.

Aariam’s hand quickly descended to the red-and-black hilt of her moonblade and wrapped her hand around it. Assassins! This is when they dare come for me! She pulled the blade loose, the clang of metal scraping against the wood-and-plate scabbard ringing out against the cliffs that make out part of the wall around Darnassus. “Get back!”, she yelled, swinging her blade at nothing, trying to deter the unknown blue light. The swing was ambitious, and perhaps too much so. The shift in weight was too much for her intoxicated mind to handle, and she soon found herself fallen to the ground. The blade had slipped from her hand, and her world was spinning. Fuck, fuck, fuck! This is not how my tale was supposed to end. Menori! The blue light continued to creep towards her, and Aariam shut her eyes, bracing herself for impact. Mother moon, make the end swift and painless. The blue light was so close she could feel its warmth.

A giggle broke the tension. It wasn’t a normal giggle, Aariam could tell immediately. It was innocent, playful; childlike in a way. Aariam dared turn her head and look at her would-be murderer through a squinted eye. She was greeted by a smiling elemental. She’d seen it somewhere before, but she couldn’t put her finger on it, especially not now, since the giggling entity had somehow began splitting into two. She blinked a few times, and confirmed that it was merely one elemental.

Singe giggled again, and dropped the scroll in front of Aariam. She gathered what powers she could find, and made her way through the letter. She felt tears trying to force themselves out.

She had almost gone straight home – her regular home, not Seiya’s - from the back alley, only saying farewell to Saelienne to make sure that she was not reported missing or anything like that. A thin layer of dust had appeared across all of their furniture, but her house did not look abandoned by any standards. She produced a quill and a jar of ink, and sat herself down in front of a piece of parchment. She took a deep breath, focusing on producing a legible letter.

In clear writing, with the stern hand of Aariam Nightborne, the following was inked onto the piece of paper:

“Anhagath,

Please come home soon.

Signed,
Aariam.”

She blew on the parchment, and rolled it up. She tied a purple ribbon around the scroll and handed it over to Singe, daring to give the “blue light” a soft pat on its head. The brave elemental left with her letter, and Aariam watched her new guardian disappear into the night.
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Soriah on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 am

... sweet. <3
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Draerion on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 pm

I couldn't resist but laugh about the bronze tooth XD
The time is not of any importance or consistence. Only the Life is important. You are alive. So live.
Draerion

Character: Draerion
Class: Druid

Postby Calisar on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Anha the pirate definitely needs to be a thing, awesomely written as ever :D You're missed, and I hope things improve for you soon!

Nicely done Aari btw, that touch of throwing in Menori's name so simply in amongst all her fears, says a lot.
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Class: Priest + Druid

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞