Blood in the Snow

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Blood in the Snow

Postby Seiya on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Well it's been a while since I've written anything, I've been out of RP with both Sei and Jai for a while, and then I started writing and this happened.

Word count: 2240 (longest thing I've written in a while...now if I could put this much into my novels at a time...)

Blood in the Snow

Jaideth frowned to herself, her meditation being disturbed by a sense in the back of her mind. Someone was watching her, or trying to at least. Opening her eyes, she glanced to the cribs where the twins were sleeping, and the warding had a brief glow.

The old mage’s lip twitched faintly, it was not the first time she caught her granddaughter trying to spy on them, it seemed as though her skills were improving though. She had been keeping a distant eye on Seiya, and her fel problems seemed to have abated for now. Perhaps it was time to let the wayward child see them. She moved to the desk in the corner, writing a brief note, that she had sent on to Duskwood.

~*~

Seiya sighed to herself as she sagged back against the tree, coming from her trance. Still she could not get past the warding. In the days since her last attempt, the wards seemed stronger.

Her heartless bitch of a grandmother was not even letting her see her own children from a distance. Her fists curled into the grass. What could she do? Steal them? Too risky. Even if she had them, what would she do? Where could she keep them safe?

The little pup pawed at her left hand, biting onto the leather of her glove, tail wagging as it started to tug. She smiled softly, indulging Luna with the game and her ire cooled as she regained her energy.

She sighed to herself and looked up at the sky through the trees. She’d been away for a little while, she could do with returning to the Manor. Perhaps Thal would go with her, she’d talk to him about it later.

Taking a strip of meat, she threw it for Luna who scampered into the undergrowth, but came bounding back, followed by a stranger. Seiya narrowed her eyes at the unknown human, her hand resting near her dagger as she stood.

The runner stopped short of the armed kaldorei, eying her dagger nervously. This was the one that he’d been directed to from others in the grove. “Seiya Shadowfury?” A sharp nod in response. “A letter from Darnassus.” He held the sealed paper out tentatively and quickly walked away once it was out of his hands. It was not worth waiting for a tip.

Seiya read the letter and frowned slightly.

‘If you wish to see your children, come to my home in Winterspring, in the foothills east of the Lake. Jaideth Frostborne.’

Seiya frowned as she eyed the letter. Was it some thinly veiled lure? What would she be walking into? An armed contingent of sentinels? Would Aariam stoop that low as to use her children as bait? She hissed to herself, perhaps she should retaliate pre-emptively.

Closing her eyes, Seiya took a slow breath to try and calm down. No, there was no hint of any foul play, perhaps the old bitch was trying to be nice. Why now though? Were her children well? It was a chance to see them without any obvious threat, how could she pass it up?

She scribbled a note for her love, leaving it with the letter so he’d know where she’d gone and why, just in case it was a trap.

Stopping by her home in Stormwind, she switched her armour for a thick white fur covered one and armed herself with everything that she had, just in case it was a trap. She would not be entirely useless against the mage, if it came to it.

~*~

Seiya looked around the small house set in the snowy foothills. Concentrating, she could feel an arcane aura around the house, no traps specifically, but there was enough to make her cautious. She looked around the snow. It was undisturbed.

Cautiously, she moved to the door, leaving her bow and pack outside as she nudged it open, but as soon as she saw the twins sat on a fur near the fire, every other thought left her mind, and she fell to the floor beside them, gathering both into her arms. “Hello my darlings, look at how you’ve both grown.” She murmured, tears rolling from her eyes as she cuddled them, and they babbled back to her.

Jaideth stood back, watching Seiya. “You seem to be better.”

Seiya’s head snapped around to Jaideth, her expression hardening as she held her children close. “I am.”

Jaideth’s lips strained into a thin smile. “Good. They have missed their mother.” She moved to sit down, watching the three. “You should have come home while you had the chance, you could have been with them.”

Seiya closed her eyes, and rested her head on Aranyah’s, leaning down to kiss Sularian. They couldn’t have this argument again. “How is…everyone?”

“Better without you in their lives.” Jaideth answered.

“Min’da.” Aranyah reached for Jaideth as she babbled, and Seiya’s eyes narrowed.

“It is for the best, child,” Jaideth said, “you have not been in their lives enough to be their mother.”

Seiya’s lip curled as she set her children down, not wanting to accidentally hurt them in her fury.

Seiya snarled hearing movement behind her, she whirled around with her daggers, sinking them into her target. Her mate fell lifeless at her feet.

Seiya frowned, rubbing her head to shake the memory off, staring down Jaideth. “They are not yours.”

Jaideth regarded her granddaughter calmly, she knew her volatile nature well enough to know that she was on the verge of attacking. “Do not be so foolish child, it is a fight that you will not win.”

Seiya drew her daggers as Jaideth stood, her jaw clenched as she fired all of her hatred in her gaze. The bitch would do well to remember what happened to the last person that tried to take her children.

“You would die in front of your children?” Jaideth commented, with a flick of her hand, she formed a protective barrier around them, not wanting any accidents to befall them. “So be it.” She took her polearm, the long stave tapered into curved blades and the edge frosted over on contact.

Seiya stepped around cautiously as Jaideth backed out of the door and she followed cautiously. How was she going to beat Jaideth? She hadn’t wanted to face her in a straight fight, she could not match her power, skill, or experience. Not with what she had.

Taking a slow breath, she slipped out of a window. An icy wind whipped around the house, making it difficult to see anything. She couldn’t trust her eyes in the blizzard, and closed them, focusing. She could feel the thread of an arcane aura nearby, but it was almost drowned out by the feel of the house. Turning her head toward Jaideth’s presence she felt the thrum of energy and dropped to the ground, a bolt of ice flying past where she’d been stood.

Seiya rolled back to her feet, she could sense Jaideth was keeping a cautious distance. Slowly creeping around, she kept Jaideth where she could feel the other woman’s presence in front of her. She sheathed one of her daggers in favour of a throwing knife, and let it fly at Jaideth, running in from behind seconds later.

Jaideth felt the knife shatter the weak barrier, and she let the blizzard die down. Turning around with her polearm raised, she clashed with the dagger that was aimed for her back. She tilted her head and regarded Seiya.

Seiya snarled and drew her other dagger, swiping at Jaideth who moved back, slicing the polearm but it only met air as the younger woman moved aside. Seiya knew that she needed to stay in close, she couldn’t give Jaideth the advantage of a longer reach.

Jaideth raised her hand, a frosty layer forming on it as a ball was created between her flexing fingers, unleashing it to force Seiya further back. She backed up to the door, digging her bow from the snow as she narrowly avoided another bolt of ice.

Two could play at that game now. Seiya concentrated, activating the runes on her bow as she nocked an arrow, an icy shimmer forming along the arrowhead, and she let it fly. followed by another two in quick succession. She started moving around, nocking a third, firing it as Jaideth sent another bolt of ice at her. The projectiles collided and Seiya dodged around, dropping her bow in favour of her daggers again and she was on Jaideth.

Jaideth grit her teeth as she was forced to face the flurry of Seiya’s daggers, pushing her back with a blast of ice, swiping at the space that the younger woman had stood. She whipped around, hissing as a blade cut through her side. She formed a barrier around herself, wearing ice as if it was armour and the next blow slid off her.

Seiya narrowed her eyes as she backed off, she could see in Jaideth’s eyes, the protection was taking a lot of concentration, all she had to do was...the house wavered in her eyeline, and she frowned, watching it fade to an old ruin. An illusion? It had felt so real…

A sharp pain spread from her abdomen and she stumbled back as the polearm was pulled free.

Jaideth watched as Seiya fell, eying her for several moments until it appeared she was not breathing. Blood rolled down the white armour, staining the snow. The mage frowned as she stepped over to Seiya cautiously, her polearm poised, resting the blade near the fallen woman’s neck as she knelt down.

Seiya’s eyes snapped back into focus as Jaideth got close, and in one movement, she pulled her head from the blade’s path, sinking both of her daggers into Jaideth with a snarl. She yanked the blades out, grunting as Jaideth collapsed on her, the polearm blade cut into the leather as it slid under the mage’s weight.

Seiya winced as she forced her body to roll them both over, blood painted her armour and the snow around them. Taking a slow breath, Seiya climbed to her feet, and made her way to her pack and dug out her kit to tend to her wound.

After patching herself up, she rested against the dilapidated house, her eyes fixed on Jaideth. So that had been an illusion and her children were still in Darnassus? She eyed Jaideth’s body. It appeared to be real enough. Her lip curled as she pushed herself up, she’d have to risk the journey, there was no way that she could leave them there now.

~*~

Seiya took time to get to Teldrassil, having to stop to acquire clean clothing, bloody armour would only raise suspicion that she did not want. She moved to the water as she took hold of the illusionary pendant. Her reflection shimmered, and after a few seconds of concentration, Seiya’s face was replaced by Jaideth’s. Slightly disconcerting. She took a few moments, schooling her expression to her grandmother’s typically superior demeanour.

Taking a slow breath, she made her way up to the portal, walking straight through. None of the sentinels seemed to stir at her presence. Good. The quicker she could be in and out the better.

She followed the path to the outskirts of the city, hoping that they were being looked after at home, she did not want to go near the temple if she could help it.

She responded to the few that greeted her, and continued on her way, not wanting to be waylaid for long. It was a dangerous game that she was playing, and she didn’t know how long she could keep the illusion up. As she approached the house, she did not sense any wards up. Good.

She could see a young woman sat with the children, Aislyn, if she recalled the girl’s name, who had joined her former Order, just before she left. So she was playing babysitter. Hm.

“Jaideth.” Aislyn greeted with a warm smile. “How was your trip?”

“Very productive.” Seiya answered, gracing her with a slight smile. There might not have been any wards, but the energy of the house felt draining. “Everything has been arranged to take the children on a little trip.”

Aislyn smiled brightly. “Oh lovely, do you want me to come with you?”

“It is quite alright, I am sure that you have other things to tend to, hm?”

Aislyn looked disappointed, sighing softly. “I am sure I can find something else to do around the temple.” She nodded, although she loved looking after the twins.

“It’s getting late, I’ll leave you to put them to bed. You know where to find me if you have need.” She smiled brightly. “See you later little moonbeam.” She kissed Aranyah’s head before leaving.

Seiya waited until she was sure that she was alone before taking a bag to pack the twins’ things in, and she shouldered it, scooping one into each arm before leaving. She walked as quickly and inconspicuously as she could, back through the portal to the docks, and only when she was out of sight of the sentinels did she drop the illusion.

A merchant vessel looked like it was packing up to leave, and she bartered passage back to Stormwind, once she was on board, she relaxed.

She’d deal with everything else later, for now all that mattered was that her children were where they belonged.

~*~
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Character: Seiya
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Mage

Re: Blood in the Snow

Postby Aariam on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 am

Seiya, Seiya, Seiya...

It is like she -wants- Aariam to come and end her. ;)

Nice read, quite enjoyed it! :D
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Class: Rogue

Postby Seiya on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks.

That was one of her better ideas, right up there with thinking demons were the way to go. Not.

Never said she was smart, especially when she reacts on emotion xD

Besides they'd have to know that the kids were missing and that Jai had been in trouble before they even started looking for a body :p
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Postby Aariam on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 pm

..Okay, Seiya is free to go. Aariam is too busy with fancy tea and being sad!

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Anhagath on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Keep up the good work, Seiya... Just a few more Highborne left to kill ;)
"My favorite color is fire."
Anhagath

Character: Anhagath
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Postby Seiya on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:35 pm

XD that one gave her enough trouble, it's just a good job Jai was reluctant to actually kill her, just wanted to make her think twice about being so silly.

"So she let you bring the children here? "

"Over her dead body. "

"What? "

"Nothing. "
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Postby Aariam on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 pm

It fits even better with the RP we did last night...

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Seiya on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:14 pm

What did I miss while I was haunting the Grove? XD
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Postby Aariam on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Nothing-..

Valande is so pretty-... so pretty...

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Seiya on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:30 pm

*gasp * you leave her aunt alone! You will be next!

*cue Mortal Kombat theme*
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Postby Darathir on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

[Valande] says: The map. When you are done with it, please take it to Jaideth. She must know...
[Party] [Aariam]: Pity Jaideth is dead!

*goes to read story*

WHAT!

;) Great moodsetter, this piece was
Darathir

Character: Darathir

Postby Aariam on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Seiya wrote:*gasp * you leave her aunt alone! You will be next!

*cue Mortal Kombat theme*

TOO LATE

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Seiya on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Darathir wrote:[Valande] says: The map. When you are done with it, please take it to Jaideth. She must know...
[Party] [Aariam]: Pity Jaideth is dead!

*goes to read story*

WHAT!

;) Great moodsetter, this piece was

Thanks. It came as a surprise to me too.

Didn't think Sei would get away with that fight but there you have it. Jai fell for that play dead trick so it's her own fault xD
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞