[Nathranas] The Dreamer and the Waves

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

[Nathranas] The Dreamer and the Waves

Postby Salirien on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:55 am

This is an introduction of sorts to Nathranas, my Druid. There will be three parts. Enjoy!

Lynwyth Island

The waves lapped peacefully against the shore. Nathranas sat on the outermost point on the village’s jetty, feet dangling over the edge. The water passed him a few feet below, on its steady march towards land. The countless stars cast their gaze down on the ocean and the coastal village of Lynwyth, and the moons illuminated the night.

Nathranas groaned in thought, lying all the way down on his back, looking up at the stars above. They truly seemed without number, each representing a fallen of his kin. How fitting a fate, to be placed there on the ceiling of the world. Only a shame it’s so far away from the ocean…

He always had enjoyed knowing that the moons pushed and pulled on the vast bodies of oceanic water. It made the sea more theirs, belonging to the Kaldorei and the Goddess, rather than all the others that had sought to claim it. The land, the sea, and the sky…

While most of the modest huts of Lynwyth were firmly built on solid ground, four of them stood on firm stilts out in the relatively shallow water—like great shorebirds on stilts. Nathranas’ house was such a one, tall and solid in spite of its simplicity. Only old Ilthenar lived in her houseboat, but she was a bit of an eccentric. People said she drank sea water when the moon was full. Nathranas was not sure if he believed that. He thought she drank sea water regardless of the moon’s fullness.

The sound of approaching footsteps made Nathranas crane his head “up” looking down the length of the jetty. In that upside-down world, Luminas came walking towards him. He looked puzzled. The shipwright walked bare-feet, his steps tapping softly against the wooden surface of the jetty. He had all the grace of a sabre, moving with the elegance of shadows.

“You’re still here? Goddess be good, Nathranas, it’s been four hours.” Luminas stopped, crossing his arms. He wore a pair of baggy linen trousers which he had made from an old, grey sailcloth, bound at the waist with a discarded scarf which had outlived its original usefulness. Despite the poverty of Lynwyth Island, Nathranas always thought that Luminas had managed to look gallant. He was only about fifty years Nathranas’ elder, and there was rarely any doubt of that.

“And I can sit her for four more, if you dare me to,” Nathranas replied. Who ever died from a little daydreaming? It wasn’t like the sea would run away if he took his time. And there would still be plenty of fish in said sea, as the elders always said. Whatever that means…

Luminas groaned, but slumped down next to Nathranas. “What’s on your mind, then?” He sat upright, hands on his knees, feet dangling over the edge of the jetty.

Nathranas frowned. “Nothing, last I checked.”

“There was little point in asking.” Luminas continued to stare off into the horizon, which almost melded with the black night sky. “Master Maedryn is waking from the Dream.”

Nathranas pursed his lips in thought. Maedryn had taught Nathranas what he knew about the druidic arts, the philosophy and concepts of working magic. So far, Nathranas only knew the Sea Lion form, and he was quite content with that. What more could a man want than glide through the deep?

Luminas turned, glancing at Nathranas. “He will want to speak with you, you know. You should go see him. He will be happy to see you.” There was a softness to his voice, a kindness to his expression as he spoke. He would have made a good Priest, I recon…

“I will see him tonight, before the dawn,” Nathranas replied, but he didn’t look forward to it.

“Don’t be afraid, Nathranas. He won’t ask you to join him in the Dream.”

There was a silence, filled only by the lapping of the waves on the nearby shore and the haunting cries of a faraway sea gull. The day Luminas stopped being blunt would be the end of the world. Or the day blunt things ceased to exist—whichever came first.

Nathranas sat up, looking down at his knees. The thought did make him afraid. It terrified him beyond description, just thinking about leaving all of his life behind. Leaving Lynwyth Island, leaving the ocean, leaving his friends and family, leaving Luminas… and knowing that it was a risky endeavour made it no more appealing. How many had died in the Nightmare? How many had been killed in their sleep by some criminal with a motive? He shuttered.

“Hey,” Luminas started, putting an arm around Nathranas’ shoulder. “Don’t worry. He knows you’re terrified, he wouldn’t do that to you.”

“Sooner or later I will have to Dream that dream too, Lumie. It’s our duty to Ysera, to Cenarius, to the whole druidic cycle and-” He cut himself off, exhaling. “I just want to live in peace.”

Luminas smiled, cocking his head a little. “We will.” He looked so certain, so confident in the future… and it was a future, Nathranas decided, that he wanted to believe in as well.

Nathranas smiled in spite of his mood, which after all was brightening, and nodded. “I swear I would be lost without you sometimes.”

Luminas scoffed. “Sometimes? Nana, you would be drifting around on the seafloor, trying to remember which way was up.” Nathranas couldn’t quite tell if he was being sincere or not, but found himself laughing. For all the love and support Luminas had to offer, he was also stauncher than bedrock. The Goddess certainly had done Her job when She fashioned his spirit.

“Now,” Luminas declared, “I really only came to tell you Maedryn was waking again. At least pretend you're happy when you see him. I will be getting back to my workshop, where a most stubborn ship awaits. I think Othanar crafted the sternpost using wrong measurements, cus I can’t really make it fit with the rudder, which took ages to make, even with-” Luminas was already on his way back across the jetty, leading a fervent monologue on the matter. He made fine boats, and had repaired the jetty and stilted huts after many a storm. Nathranas had always thought Luminas was clever. Whenever something broke, he was there to fix it. Fondly, Nathranas smiled.

He turned back to face the vastness of the ocean. Thoughts came drifting back. Thoughts of swapping sapphire for Emerald. Thoughts of swapping this dream, for another. He sighed. “Perhaps the time has truly come for me to awaken, then. To let fade this dream, and bear the burden of another—the burden of Emeralds.”

He slid over the edge, letting the ocean embrace him. Always so fondly, the sea embraces…

Perhaps he could afford one more day dream.
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Priestess

Re: [Nathranas] The Dreamer and the Waves

Postby Calisar on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:51 pm

So beautiful... I could have happily carried on reading much more!

This kind of druid is a really unique idea and I love it, the ideas behind the relation between the ocean and the moon.. just brilliant. Such an elegant lively style of writing, I always envy how you do it ;)

*smacks merrily with stick of moar*
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Priest + Druid

Postby Aariam on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:57 pm

He thought she drank sea water regardless of the moon’s fullness.

Is my favourite thing ever.

GIVE US PART TWO!
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Class: Rogue

Postby Eluvere on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Calisar wrote:the ideas behind the relation between the ocean and the moon.. just brilliant. Such an elegant lively style of writing, I always envy how you do it ;)

Just this! I loved the part where he thought about the sea and the moon! A story with a wonderful flow as always, Sali ;)
Eluvere

Character: Elu
Class: Druidess

Postby Salirien on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 am

Part 2! I'm not sure how much actually happens here, I just felt like writing something to discover it rather than describe. Does that make sense? Heck if I know. Enjoy! o/

The Sapphire Dream

Nathranas came to a halt, floating below the waters outside Lynwyth Island. Despite the distance away from the surface, some light still made its way down, illuminating the seabed faintly. And what moonlight could not reach, was made visible through the shared capabilities of his sea lion’s eyes, and inner light.

Below him was a great jungle of kelp. Corals and sea shells clung to the shelves of rock, which formed a most peculiar giant’s staircase up to the surface. The little reef of corals displayed such a vast amount of colours, Nathranas was positive there was nothing that could compare on the surface. The little trees of red, the pillowy sponges of yellow and pink, great, swirling reaches of blue and green—all complementing each other like a great artwork hidden below the waves.

He swam down, to the jungle below, which obscured the coral reef on the shelves above. Blissfully he sank in between the billowing forests of kelp, also sporting a great variety of colours. While the vast jungle had a preference for greens and yellows, streaks of stark red and purple accompanied the emerald kelp.

Nathranas had always been prone to daydreaming, and had no mind to try and change that now. He let his body glide through the colourful forest, peacefully and silently, as rays of moonlight spilled through the surface above.

It was his own little world. A place of peace and quiet. There were no troubles, no duties. There was only Nathranas, and the ocean.

No worries or fears… no impressions or persuasions, setting me on different courses. No Master Maedryn, urging me to enter the Dream, or go to Darnassus. What’s so great about Teldrassil, anyway? You can’t even see the ocean from there, even if it’s planted right in it. What good is a sea lion on land… I just want to swim…

He skated down, letting kelp entangle him slightly before gliding out of its grasp, always drifting on softly. The thought of leaving Lynwyth, leaving Maedryn, leaving Luminas… It would certainly be more bitter than sweet, having to leave it all behind for so long. But Lynwyth wouldn’t go anywhere, nor really the ocean… But for the duration of becoming a fully-fledged Druid? He could only hope the sea would remain patient. No, perhaps the sea was a reminder for him to be patient…

He drifted on down, through the vibrant jungles of life and colour. The Druids always say that The Emerald Dream shows the world untouched… have any of them ever thought to look below the ocean, at this world, where no person has ever set foot? Moonlight trickled faintly from above, dancing lithely on the submerged forest. Silver played in so well with green and blue, Nathranas had always thought. They spend their lives in dream, searching for nature… but there is no vaster abundance of nature than right here…

He swam east, the direction of the continent. He wouldn’t be going quite that far, however. Once he made his way out of the vibrant jungle, he came upon the vast dunes of pearly, white sand. They stretched on almost endlessly, only slightly disturbed by underwater currents, making a faint wavy pattern through the banks.

Nathranas brought himself to a halt, spotting something he had not seen in a while. Wide, deep footprints, large enough that Nathranas might stretch out in one. They went north, towards the open sea. For a brief moment, Nathranas felt a jab of panic. It was not the first time he saw a Sea Giant’s footprints in the pale deep. The undercurrents were slowly wiping out the trail, however, and Nathranas knew the Sea Giant was not far too the north. In other words, it was not heading towards Lynwyth. The wrath and rampage of a Sea Giant could be a horrible thing. Get moving. If it turns, you’ll have no choice but to fight.

And so Nathranas swam on, towards the east. In time, sand bowed down to bedrock, covered in coral of more colours than the rainbow could imagine. Iridescent fish lazily swam about, perhaps searching. Nathranas had always thought that the fish appeared to be enthralled by the turquois, green, yellow and red of the coral reef. He didn’t really blame them either. He swam across the reef, fishes of all colours darting away at the sight of his hulking sea lion’s shape.

He moved ever on, until he reached a cliff, which led down to an ocean in the ocean. The abyss below was so dark and nebulous, even his Kaldorei’s senses left something to be desired.

For a time, he waited, until a familiar sound made his head crane right. A truly gigantic form came floating into view through the ocean. Whales had always reminded Nathranas of old Ithenvar’s tales of the dragons, only in water. The creature glided effortlessly through the deep, and Nathranas felt a jab of both curiosity and envy. As the great whale passed, it kept an eye on Nathranas. It let out a single note of whale song, a sort of greeting, Nathranas guessed, judging by his previous encounters with whales. The lumbering beast then gently rolled over right, before descending into the deep. Nathranas followed. Had he been in his elven form, he was pretty sure he would be grinning like an idiot.

He followed the whale down into the deepest reaches. While a guide was not strictly necessary, it was a comfort. It was dark, and vision was limited. It would be difficult to spot any potential predators, or Goddess forbid, Sea Giants. Nathranas began weaving a spell, pushing outwards a soothing force. Some Druids were capable of forcing animals into hibernation. Nathranas had dissuade many sharks for nibbling at him, and that giant octopus that one time… He tried not to think about the giant octopus.

Before long, stars came into view in the deep. He felt relief at the sight, and only a little loneliness as the whale hummed a single note again, before break off and returning to the surface. Nathranas continued on downwards.

The stars grew and multiplied in the deep, bright silvery blue, some few also appearing pale green. As he approached, the bioluminescent sea weed spread out to cover most of the sea floor, rooted in palely lit sand of white. Some few deep sea fish floated eerily amongst the glowing kelp. Nathranas had always hated the creatures spawned in the absolute deep. They were horrifyingly grotesque, with bulging, clear eyes and faces that appeared either glaring or lamenting. Sometimes both.

Harrowing.

He ignored the deep-sea monsters as best he could, focusing instead on his task, keeping a constant outwards push of soothing—just in case. Before long he found that for which he had dived so far; clusters of pale pink and yellow oysters.

When he was still learning, he would have had to force the oysters open to see if they contained pearls. With training, that was no longer necessary. He pressed a wave of soothing against the molluscs, and they opened willingly. As carefully as he could with the limbs of a sea lion, he plucked their pearls, storing them in his mouth. It was a much better way. Besides, it wasn’t like the pearls held any value to the oysters.

Thus he swam about, harvesting pearls in the cold, dark deepness of the world, unseen and unknown. As soon as he was done, the oysters shut up again, continuing on with their merry little lives. Whatever oysters do in their spare time. What do oysters do, anyway? Nothing? I wonder if they would appreciate dreaming.

He did not force them into slumber, however. He wasn’t even sure if he could, had he tried. Could oysters even sleep? What was that like, a life without dream?

Instead, he decided to head home, leaving the stars below the ocean behind. In his mouth he carried pearls that would supply his village with some meager trade whenever a merchant came about. How would Lynwyth survive if he left? If he sought out a trainer of his own, to learn from the great druids of Ashenvale, Hyjal and Darnassus, would it mean even greater poverty for Lynwyth? There was a selfishness to that which he found hard to deal with. Without pearls, the islanders would rely mostly on whatever the fishermen could produce. They would manage, sure, but…

Will they forgive me if I leave?

With a heavy heart, and a mind undreaming, Nathranas turned for the surface.
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Calisar on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:53 am

Another beautiful snippet, loving them so far so keep them coming! :)
Calisar

Postby Tenshylwin on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Beautifully written, very enjoyable! It's great to see in the minds of other druids as they venture the depths of their forms. I may come up with one myself soon enough!

Here hoping to see more from you. :D
Tenshylwin, Guardian of Cenarius - 100 Night elf Druid
Druid of the Wild
Tenshylwin

Character: Kitten
Class: Druid

Postby Aariam on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Aw, it's so beautiful, and I especially love the part about "where no man has set foot before". Keep them coming, and also bring Nathranas to us for more RP! :D

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Salirien on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Final part! Hope it's been fun to read! It's been challenging to write for Nath instead of Sali, and I see I have loads to learn. Still, I've had fun, and I hope you have too. I also drew a map of Lynwyth for no reason at all, I just like maps, so I added that ^^ Enjoy!

The Stormwarren Burrow Dens

The day had been kind, not too warm, and left Lynwyth Island in a blanket of crispy stillness. The sun drowned in the west, the sky still faintly smudged pink and yellow on the horizon. Some diurnal birds were still singing, but they were slowly retiring for the coming night.

Nathranas was still tired from his deep dive the night before. He had managed to bring back quite a good salvage of pearls, enough for the village to manage without him for a few seasons. And though his legs, hips and back ached as he trudged on, he was determined to succeed. It was possible to reach Maedryn’s Burrow Den in one night, he knew, but he would have to be quick about it. He had already made it through the Veilwood, and was now scaling the rolling hills, leading west.

“He has summoned you, and is expecting you,” Luminas had said as Nathranas returned from the deep. “He waits in the den atop the Stormwarrens. You know the way.”

There had been a hint of melancholy to Luminas as he spoke. Perhaps he, too, had come to understand that this good-bye might be for a long time. But I’ll come back. One day.

Nathranas climbed over the final hilltop. A great meadow spanned out before him, a small valley of sorts, not green and lush like the rest of the island, but brown and grey. In its middle stood a great oak, old and gnarly, twisted and worn by wind and weather. It was long since dead. Its limbs were naked and dry, carrying no leaves, and its bark was stale and cracked. It reminded Nathranas of the skin of certain reptiles, only splintered.

The Steadfast Oak was a tale taught to all the inhabitants of the island in their youth. Once, when the island was new-born, the oak had been the greatest of the trees there. It stretched ever towards the sky, with a crown of green and bark that withstood every storm. The Druids of the island revered the tree, lived by it and made it the patron of the island. The spirit of the Steadfast Oak was, in a sense, the spirit of Lynwyth Island.

The lesser oaks and forests took heed of the great tree for this, and made it their lord. The Steadfast Oak was filled with pride at this, and wished to show his subjects the extent of their power. And so, the Lord of Lynwyth grew and grew, until its boughs could pluck stars from the heavens. The lesser trees had pleaded with their king to halt, that it must not grasp beyond its reach, yet it would not listen.

But as the boughs of a tree grows, so, too, must its roots. Before long, The Steadfast Oak reached its fingers into the waters of the ocean, and drank with vainglorious gluttony. The lesser trees pleaded anew, that their king must stop, lest it wither and crumble to the poisons of the sea. But the Steadfast Oak lived up to its name, and drank its fill.

Before long, the Lord of Lynwyth fell ill—its once verdant reaches rotted and dry. Its gnarled bark, and countless roots were blighted and numb, and had begun to crack. For fear of sight of their lord, trees never grew close to the oak again. The Druids abandoned their grove. Most, in grief and pain, even left the island. Only Maedryn had remained.

The Steadfast Oak stood now an eternal vigil, even in death. “To tell the tale of hubris. To teach us all of temperance, and restraint. Thus does the lord still stand,” Nathranas repeated. He had heard those words many years ago, when Maedryn first told him of the withered Lord of Lynwyth. The Steadfast Oak, which served as a warning, even in death.

No, especially in death.

Nathranas crossed the meadow, placing a hand on the withered bark of the old king. It was cold, and rough, its lifeless skin less durable than it had been, while still alive. Not a trace of life. So much power and promise—all squandered, all spent. It was a strange thing, that Nathranas was saddened by the tale of an ancient oak. He was unsure how much of the old tales were in fact true, and what had simply been fabrication. Had the Druids lived here and worshiped the tree as a patron? Probably. Had the tree been a King of Lynwyth, lord of trees on the island? He doubted that more.

It was thus with both afterthought and solemnity that Nathranas left the grove behind, continuing on towards the mountains in the west. Their silhouettes were only barely there, lit palely by the moons and the backdrop of stars. It was a beautiful journey, first through the rugged coastline of Lynwyth, then through the Veilwood, the hills and the grove of the Steadfast Oak. Here, the mountains dominated the environment, looming high on the horizon. He crossed the modest bridge over the river Whitereach, and trod on through the wet lowlands.

The mountains were more difficult. He wore little, and carried less, but even so the steep foothills proved challenging. As a diver and fisherman, Nathranas had done his share of hard work, and been exposed to the elements time and time again. He rose to climb one peak in these mountains, only to find another, and another and another, always bringing the horizon further away, and further up. It also brought him further from the sea, of which he had a beautiful view, far in the distance, beyond the lowlands.

He found traces and tracks of many animals during his ascent—animals that were all familiar to him. Although his Druidic training had indeed been awfully limited, he had learnt some. The ways to identify an animal by its tracks, by its scent, by its droppings, the way to sooth animals, how to take on the shape of the sea lion. Other than that, it had been a lot of philosophical discussion and observing flora and fauna.

He reached the height of the mountain they called the Stormwarrens, where fierce winds always blew. The gusts came from the south, and were not bitingly cold, but it made Nathranas wish he had put a jacket over his shirt, and worn longer trousers. The peaks of the Stormwarren were covered in a thin sheet of snow, which sometimes melted and caused the marshes to overflow and flood. Some springs, the deluge would carve great runs into the land, leaving deep cuts when summer came. All in all, Lynwyth Island was a hardy place, exposed to the elements and the sea, and the constant shift of nature.

As dawn began to blossom in the east, Nathranas reached the plateau below one of the Stormwarren’s peaks. He looked over his shoulder, as the sky was cut and began to bleed into daylight, and he shuddered. For all the colours the dawn held, Nathranas had always found it garish and pompous, displaying a bombast best left to fireside stories.

He looked ahead again, at the near-flat field before him. His legs had long tired, and his eyelids felt heavy and dark. In front, a river meandered around a modest little building, poorly maintained, but without a doubt the entrance to a burrow den. The years had made the structure look mundane and grey, not too different from Lynwyth Village, but very different from how Nathranas remembered the Dens looking. I suppose I should have maintained it in Maedryn’s absence, huh… Oops. Well, it’s his fault for building a burrow den on top of the pissing Stormwarrens.

And surrounded by the meandering of a river, to boot.

Nathranas undressed, folding up his trousers and shirt as tidily as he managed. He placed a few stones on top, in case the wind got greedy. With only slight self-pity, Nathranas waded into the river, and swam across when it became too deep. The stream was kind, with the plateau being so flat, but it was still bone chilling. He would have donned the form of the sea lion, but Maedryn’s words rang within his mind—“Call only on their forms when your own will not do. Do not grow too familiar, for one day, they might be gone. Yours is the form of the Kaldorei, these other ones you only borrow. Do not borrow beyond your ken.”

He walked up on the other bank, cursing the winds silently, and running towards the shelter the dens would provide. He practically threw himself into the darkness within, and took only a moment to feel sorry for himself before he descended into the depths of the Stormwarrens.

The labyrinthine halls and passages coiled ever downwards, like the roots of a world-tree. Some simple carvings on doorframes and pillars was all there was of decoration; Maedryn believed in temperance and focus. Nathranas had been rather silent about his view that beauty, too, had its place in the order of things, and that true beauty could only be found within perfect balance.

As he reached the deepest chambers of the burrow dens, a familiar voice called out from the dark.

“I see my ravens reached Lynwyth after all. I was beginning to worry you would not heed my summons, Nathranas Startide.” Maedryn was a Druid of the Claw, and his voice reflected that. It was the deep, rumbling roiling of a bear, bestial and raw. He was not quite as cruel as a bear, however, and Nathranas was grateful for that.

“I came as quickly as I could. I was at the bottom of the ocean when your message arrived, Shan’do,” Nathranas replied, bowing his head towards the shadows. He could vaguely make out Maedryn’s silhouette, on top of a rug which look about as old as the island. Maedryn sat with his feet crossed, and held an unlit pipe in his hand. He was also dressed in the thick, furred robes of a Druid of the Claw. Nathranas became aware of his own nudeness, but decided it made no matter. He was not cold, just bare.

“I am glad to see you are well. I was half worried you might have gotten yourself killed in the deep. A fight with a swordfish, or some such…” Maedryn smirked in the dark, a canine visible through the veil of shadows.

Nathranas scoffed. “I’ll have you know they aren’t all that great at fighting. Now, jellyfish on the other hand… those you have to look out for.” He remembered with bitterness his encounter with a swarm some years back. He was fortunate to have gotten away when he did, in one piece.

Maedryn arched an eyebrow. “There are greater dangers than jellyfish in this world, Nathranas.” The master paused, eyeing his student. There was a sombreness to him, almost melancholy. “Which is why I have decided that you shall receive proper tutoring at the hands of a Shan’do, who does not spend his days in dream.”

Nathranas did his best to hide his relief, but smiled. “You will not take me into the Dream, then?” he asked, and struggled to contain his joy. Externally, he hoped it just came across as relief, and not the ecstasy it felt like.

But Maedryn shook his head. “You will join me in the Dream for a fortnight. I would shame us both if I sent you elsewhere without even a thimble’s worth of knowledge of the Dream, and its workings. Then, you will leave this island and seek out the Shan’dos of Teldrassil, Hyjal and Ashenvale. They will teach you about the truest nature of the Druidic Arts.”

Relief turned to worry. Nathranas’ gut twisted and he noticed he was shaking. He could not find the words he was looking for, so he spoke his mind. “I fear the Dream, Shan’do.”

Maedryn leaned forward slightly, his long, mossy beard and gnarly face slightly more visible in the shadows. “You have seen worse down there in the deep, I can promise you that much.”

But Nathranas was not at ease. Maedryn scoffed. “You fear the Nightmare, young one, but fear is a part of life. Without it, we do not know when we are in danger, when we should tread carefully. I will not tell you not to be afraid—I would rather advise that you face your fears head on, and master them.”

There truly was no way around it. Sooner or later, he would have to dream—to see the world in its cradle, untouched, unchanging. If he were ever to be a fully-fledged Druid, he would have to brave the Dream. Soothing animals and the form of a sea lion would only get him so far, he knew. He only wanted to live in peace.

There’s no way around it then.

He sat down across from Maedryn, on the bare ground, exhaling to still his nerves. He trembled.

“Alright. Let’s begin, then.”
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Calisar on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:56 pm

huh… Oops. Well, it’s his fault for building a burrow den on top of the pissing Stormwarrens.

Haha! xD

I really hope this isn't the final part. I'd love to read Nath's take on the dream!

Really loved this story, especially the diversion into the fable of the Steadfast Oak. Just.. beautiful to read. Amazing work! :D
Calisar

Postby Aariam on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:57 am

I concur with Cali; I hope it's not the last we hear of Nath's tales. And, we also need to have more IC encounters; he's such a charming lil' character. :D

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Eluvere on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:43 pm

I think Elu would like this Maedryn.
Eluvere

Character: Elu
Class: Druidess